Career Transition Resources
For Technologists Who Want to Work at Startups
In this career guide, we’ve compiled resources that will help you navigate the process and quickly land your dream role.
The idea of a fresh start is exhilarating. But going through the job application process can be daunting. To succeed, you need to do a little preparation beforehand.
Find the Ideal Role
Before submitting any applications, you need to determine the right software development career path:
- Learn about the three most common career disciplines for software engineers.
- Get the breakdown of common personality traits, daily activities, and typical career paths for each discipline.
Now that you know the direction you want to take, utilize these 11 tips to land your dream job.
Choose the Perfect Company
If you’ve never worked at a startup before, you’ll want to do a little homework to decide if it’s the right environment for you.
This article will help you decide whether to pursue a career at a larger corporation or a growing startup.
If you determine that a startup is right for you, then the next step is to find which startup to join.
Here are five questions that will help you assess the different startup stages (and figure out what stage is right for you).
Apply the Smart Way
Now that you know your ideal role and company, you’ll want to make sure you stand out as an applicant.
First, gain an understanding of the traits that startups look for in a software engineer.
After that, you can prove you have the qualities that they’re looking for through these methods:
- Use our 6 resume tips (and template)
- Read this article about making your LinkedIn profile stand out
- Hear from these software recruiters about how to leverage LinkedIn
- Create a technical portfolio to showcase your skills
Interview Like a Pro
To be competitive in the interview process, you’ll want to know how startups vet interviewees to find the ideal candidate.
Here are some ways you can prepare for your interview:
- Find out the top questions startup hiring managers ask during an interview
- Learn about the most common technical interviews (and how to prepare for them)
- Discover 3 key ways engineers can stand out during an interview
P.S. Don’t forget that the interview is also an opportunity to ensure that the company is a good match for you. Here are 16 questions to ask before joining a startup.
Navigate the Compensation Discussion
Discussing compensation can be awkward, especially if you don’t feel confident about how startup compensation works.
Learn the basics by watching this 14-minute talk about startup compensation and salary negotiation.
Many startups offer equity as part of the compensation package. These resources break down the vocabulary and structures you need to know:
- This podcast delves into startup equity – from the perspective of both job seekers and company leaders.
- Here are 9 questions to ask during the interview process to help you unpack your equity offer.
Once you have a grasp of your compensation package, you can negotiate your offering with potential employers.
This article provides an overview of how to negotiate your startup salary.
Bonus: If you’re a woman in tech, use these tips to approach discussions around salary and get the compensation that you deserve.
Make a Smooth Transition
Congratulations! You’ve found the ideal position and company, completed the interview process, and negotiated your salary.
You now have an offer letter and your new role and opportunity await you!
The last step is to give notice and leave your current role without burning any bridges.